Shmooze a Student
Want to sponsor a student to attend ShmooCon? Want a chance at purchasing a ticket to attend without the F5 rush?
This year’s attendees will have a chance to Shmooze a Student. For $400 you can provide the opportunity for a deserving student to attend ShmooCon. You won’t only be sponsoring a student to attend but also getting a ticket for yourself. If you already won the F5 rush or missed out on the opportunity to purchase a ticket, this is another way to help the community and get a ticket to attend.
You and ShmooCon will be sponsoring up to 30* students to attend the conference. Your $400 will be combined with $100 of ShmooCon funds to purchase a ticket for yourself, a deserving student and provide a $200 stipend to offset the student’s travel costs and meal expenses. (This stipend will be delivered to the student upon arrival at the con).
Deadline for all applications is December 10th. We will notify all students and purchasers of status before or by December 13th.
*Subject to ShmooCon's discretion and number of applications received.
UPDATE 12/3 - Full up on Shmoozers for now. We'll post/tweet/etc if we're able to open up any more spots. Please still push this info to any worthy students. Thanks!
UPDATE 12/2 - We have received a great response from a large number of folks wanting to sponsor a student. There are only a handful of spots left for "Shmoozers." We will make another update when this list is full. Please push the student info to any student groups you think might have interest. Thank you!!
If you are interested in Shmoozing a Student, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in sponsoring a student?
- Is it okay to list your name in the program as a student sponsor?
Are you a student interested in attending ShmooCon but are unable to afford the trip? Students (high school and college level) interested in applying for this unique opportunity will need to provide proof that they are an active student at an educational institution.
Students need to provide:
Students should submit the above information along with answers to the following questions to email@example.com:
- A picture of themselves at school with a student ID (make this fun - here's your chance to entertain us)
- A letter of recommendation from an instructor at your institution.
- Why do you want to come to ShmooCon?
- What do you hope to learn?
- Have you been to any other information security conferences? Which ones?
- What career and/or degree are you pursuing? "Not sure” is fine, but let us know what type of technical pursuits you enjoy.
Accepted students will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of the conference.