ShmooCon does not collect or gather any information about those in attendance beyond what is necessary to the services we offer. Personal data is only collected when you voluntarily provide it, such as when registering/providing payment, submitting a talk, or other opt-in events such as shmooze-a-student.
We will never:
- Sell this information
- Share this information with anyone outside of ShmooCon staff (without a legal court order), when not otherwise indicated (listing accepted speakers on our website as an example).
- Buy any information about our attendees.
Types of Information Collected by ShmooCon
- Email Address
- Phone Number – collected only from staff and accepted speakers
- IP Addresses, browser user agent strings, and similar network telemetry – collected only as part of the ticket sales process
This information is used by ShmooCon in order to:
- Communicate with any interested persons/attendees
- Communicate with potential and accepted speakers
- Communicate with attendees regarding payment inquiries
- Communicate with vendors about the sponsorship process
- Ensure the integrity of the ticket sales process
ShmooCon Controlled Logs
Web Server – ShmooCon does not retain web server logs nor do we utilize tracking cookies. If needed for troubleshooting, we work with our hosting provider to access logs necessary for the situation.
Mail Server – ShmooCon retains mail logs for troubleshooting purposes only.
AWS – ShmooCon records the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses of visitors to our AWS instance during our ticket sales events. ShmooCon uses this information only for fraud detection and ensuring the integrity of the ticket sales process.
ShmooCon also captures and stores information that you may transmit. This can include:
- Browser/Device Type/Version
- Operating system used
- Date and time of the server request
- Volume of data transferred
- Pages visited
Third-Party Privacy Policies
ShmooCon relies on several outside vendors to run the con. Notably we use Stripe for payment processing, Pantheon for web hosting, AWS for cloud infrastructure, and the Hilton Hotel for venue space. Their privacy policies are included below. Through their services we might have access to information beyond what you have provided directly to us. We do not seek to collect or store that information outside their systems, with the exception of building the registration list for the con which gets verified against the payment system information (names/emails only).
- Stripe.Com – https://stripe.com/privacy
- Hilton.com – https://www.hilton.com/en/p/global-privacy-statement/
- Pantheon.io – https://pantheon.pactsafe.io/legal.html
- AWS – https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/data-protection.html
Should you have questions regarding this policy or if you would like to express your data subject rights under your local jurisdiction, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.