Shmooze-A-Student is our way of working with our attendees to get even more students attending ShmooCon.
HOW IT WORKS:
Potential Shmoozers and Students apply by the deadlines below.
Accepted Shmoozers pay a $450 fee. That fee plus a $100 of ShmooCon funds are used to purchase a ticket for themselves, a ticket for a deserving student, and provide a $200 stipend to offset the student’s costs while attending the con. It’s a win win win situation!
One thing to note – There is no 1:1 correlation between Shmoozers and Students (so shmoozers – you don’t get to pick who you support), but everyone will have an opportunity to meet on Friday of the con.
- Friday, October 13, 2023, 10:00 AM EST – Shmooze-a-Student application window opens.
- Thursday, November 30, 2023, 11:59 PM, EST – Shmooze-a-Student application window closes. Shmoozer Application window may close earlier based on number of submissions received. Student Applications will remain open until December 1st.
- Tuesday, December 5, 2023 – Shmooze-a-Student notifications sent.
SHMOOZERS – Applications are now CLOSED:
Every year Shmoozer applications outpace student applications. For this reason we shut down the Shmoozer side of things once we have reached that 45-50 goal.
You and ShmooCon will be sponsoring up to 45* students to attend the conference. Your $450 will be combined with $100 of ShmooCon funds to purchase a ticket for yourself, a ticket for a deserving student, and provide a $200 stipend to offset the student’s travel costs and meal expenses. (This stipend will be delivered to the student upon arrival at the con).
*Subject to ShmooCon’s discretion and number of student applications received.
If you are interested in Shmoozing a Student, be prepared with the answers to the following questions and go fill out this google form beginning Oct. 13.
- Why are you interested in sponsoring a student to attend ShmooCon 2024?
- Have you shmoozed a student in the past?
- Are you willing to attend the Shmoozer/Student meet-up usually held the Friday afternoon of con?
- Is it okay to list your name in the program as a student sponsor? If yes, what name?
Undergrad students, ages 18 and up, who are interested in applying for this unique opportunity will need to provide proof that they are an active student at an educational institution.
Students need to provide:
- A picture of themselves at school with a student ID (make this fun – here’s your chance to entertain us).
- A brief letter of recommendation from an instructor at your institution.
Students should submit the above information along with answers to the following questions here beginning Oct. 13.
- Name, school, and year in school
- Have you been shmoozed before?
- Why do you want to come to ShmooCon?
- What do you hope to learn?
- Have you been to any other information security conferences? Which ones?
- What career and/or degree are you pursuing? It doesn’t have to be tech related, and if you haven’t declared “not sure” is just fine – but do let us know what type of technical pursuits you enjoy.
- Are you willing to attend the Student/Shmoozer meet-up, usually held early Friday afternoon of con?
- If we enjoy your submitted photo, may we have permission to possibly show it at closing ceremonies?
Please be aware – incomplete applications will not be considered, so make sure you’ve included all requested items and have answered all of the above questions. We will not respond to let you know you are missing items.
If selected, you will receive a ticket to ShmooCon. Upon arrival at the con, you will also receive a $200 stipend to help offset any costs associated with attending.
Accepted students might be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of the conference but honestly, we have yet to follow through on this.